News

Monty Don addresses leaving BBC Gardeners’ World as he shares health update


The host of BBC Gardeners’ World, Monty Don has addressed rumours that he’s leaving the popular horticultural show. 

Last year in November, Monty, 68, announced that he will likely give up the ‘remorseless treadmill’ of the hit show as he approaches his seventies.

He hinted at his departure during a Times Radio interview, saying: ‘The logical thing to do is give up Gardeners’ World.’

The presenter, who has hosted the BBC Two show beloved by green-fingered amateur-gardeners across the nation since 2003, said that was considering bowing out to pursue other other such as writing and presenting travel shows. 

However, it seems his comments may have been taken out of context, as Monty explained in a further recent interview with Times Radio

The host of BBC Gardeners' World, Monty Don has addressed rumours that he's leaving the popular horticultural show

The host of BBC Gardeners’ World, Monty Don has addressed rumours that he’s leaving the popular horticultural show

He elaborated: ‘In the end, I’m a gardener and my life is lived in my garden. To share that through the medium of Gardeners’ World is not only a privilege, it’s also completely central to who I am and what I do.’

During the discussion, he also opened up about his mental health, confessing: ‘I have, for many years, suffered from depression, which comes and goes but tends to be something that is worse in the winter.’

Although the presenter claims that he currently feels ‘fine,’ he added: ‘I wouldn’t say I have been healed. I’d say I am being healed. It’s an ongoing process.’

Monty has been candid about his mental health in recent years, having admitted last year in December that his seasonal affective disorder was so bad that his wife Sarah threatened to walk out on him with their three children if he did not seek help. 

The presenter also suffered a minor stroke in 2008 that forced him to step down from presenting Gardeners’ World, and later told the Mail in 2011 that he didn’t want to be known as ‘the man who was ill.’

He said: ‘I don’t work so hard now, and when I do things I do them on my terms. Psychologically, I’ve tried to put it behind me but, yes, I became very aware of my mortality and that was very real.’

Monty was speaking to Times Radio ahead of the premiere of his new show Monty Don’s Spanish Gardens, which launches on BBC Two on February 23.

Monty described filming the show as ‘an exhilarating and fascinating experience,’ writing on his website: ‘This was filmed last year when I spent 7 weeks in Spain across April, May, June and October and covers over 40 different gardens.’

Monty confirmed that he is to remain on the BBC show, telling Times Radio: 'I'm a gardener and my life is lived in my garden. To share that through Gardening World is a privilege'

Monty confirmed that he is to remain on the BBC show, telling Times Radio: ‘I’m a gardener and my life is lived in my garden. To share that through Gardening World is a privilege’

‘I found it an exhilarating and fascinating experience with stunning gardens and learned so much more about the country – despite having visited many times before as a tourist. 

‘It looks incredible and hope you find it as entertaining and rewarding watching it as I did making it.’

Last year, in October, the Gardeners’ World star revealed his beloved dog Nell had died of cancer – three years after losing Golden Retriever Nigel.

The famed horticulturist took to social media to share the tragic news, which came four months after his companion was diagnosed with the disease.

Don, who is known for his love of dogs and regularly inviting his furry friends to share screen time with him, shared the sad news with his one million Instagram followers on October 21 and thanked them for their support in a follow-up post.

Monty Don’s Spanish Gardens premieres on BBC Two on Friday 23 February at 8pm.



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button